Crows Survive Bulldogs- AFL

In his 200th game, Scott Thompson was the hero and helped Adelaide to a great win.

Robert Whiteby Robert White

The Adelaide Crows withstood a ferocious third quarter comeback from the Western Bulldogs to move to 2-0 to start the 2012 season, winning at home 82-64.

The Crows lost Richard Douglas early in the first quarter to a hamstring injury and as a result were forced to use their substitute a lot earlier than normal.

It didn’t matter, a dominant first half enabled the Crows to race away to a 50-25 half-time lead, but in an amazing turn of events, the Bulldogs took control of the game and dominated the third period. They took control in the center of the ground and had nearly 30 more possessions than the Crows in the quarter.

Cooney hit Giansiracusa with a beautifully weighted kick and the 11-year veteran made no mistake with the first goal of the quarter from the set shot.

Giansiracusa did the assisting 20 seconds later, dropping a ball into the hands of Jarrad Grant. He went back and kicked a wobbler off the boot that sailed through the big sticks.

Adelaide had their chances, the best of which came from an inside 50 mark by Taylor Walker, but three gettable kicks were all off target.

Captain Boyd kicked two consecutive goals to give the Bulldogs their fourth unanswered major, the second bringing them within one point.

For the first, he ran through and stole a ruck tap from the right-side 40 meters out and kicked straight. The second came when he marked, ran around the defender, and kicked a perfect long ball from 50 meters.

The Bulldogs took the lead early in the fourth thanks to a goal square mark to Liam Jones, but Adelaide kicked the next two to go back in front.

Porplyzia stole the ball as the Bulldogs attempted to inbound from the defensive 50. He got it to Dangerfield and Adelaide got their first goal since half-time.

Walker missed what should have been an easy goal but redeemed himself immediately by crumbing a Brian Lake dropped mark from the back of the pack and ran into an open goal.

Porplyzia kicked a second straight open goal just a minute later as the Dogs made an error in defense and were outnumbered by attacking Adelaide players.

With their backs against the wall the Bulldogs responded in brilliant fashion, scoring within a minute as Roughead marked and goaled.

But it was Taylor Walker springing from the back of the pack to mark in the goal square that gave Adelaide another major score and put them ahead by three goals with two minutes to play. The score would remain unchanged at 82-64.

Scott Thompson was the hero in his 200th game. He controlled the middle of ground in typical fashion and amassed a huge 34 disposals.

Walker kicked three goals to Adelaide while Petrenko and Lynch both had two and Callinan, Sloane, Porplyzia, Dangerfield each added singles. The Dogs got two goals apiece from Boyd and Jones and received singles from Djerrkura, Picken, Giansiracusa, Grant, Roughead.